Saturday, March 1, 2014

Game Review: Space Shooter X

wp_ss_20140301_0017

When I was a kid, I remember playing games like Galaga, Galaxian and even Raiden in the arcades. Plopping quarter after quarter in to those games and grabbing $5 worth of quarters at the local 7-11 to put a few bucks on top of the machine to make sure I could play for a few hours. I had no idea that a simple Twitter request from borneo mobile was going to transport me instantly back to this time in my life, sans the quarters of course…

wp_ss_20140301_0014

Space Shooter X took only a few seconds to download over my Wi-Fi connection. I figured I would give a quick look before getting in to the other 5 requests that came in today, but I was completely wrong. After it finished installing, I was roped in to what I can only describe as complete childhood bliss. Space Shooter X features gorgeous overhead shooter graphics. simple controls and a fast paced action that keeps you engaged from the start.

wp_ss_20140301_0012

Game play gets even more intense as you quickly progress from the easy part of level one to about the middle of the level. The enemy ships start coming faster and it’s almost a necessity to start snagging the power ups along the way.

wp_ss_20140301_0019

The obstacles get larger, tougher and more challenging as the game continues to throw bigger and badder enemies your way. This is one of those games that no matter how much you play it, you will keep wanting to put more quarters in to keep the action going. Two things I would love to see in future updates though: a continuation option (even if it is just like 2 credits) and an option save a game (if it’s there, I didn’t find it.)

Now, how does Space Shooter X actually rate in the real world? I’m giving it 5 out of 5 in the Store, and a 9 out of 10 on a personal scale. The Free version of the game is Ad Supported, but the ads are non-existent during game play, but they do pop up after playing, so I recommend shelling out the $1.99 to remove all the ads and support the developer on this one. borneo mobile has seriously hit one out of the park with this classic flashback.

A few tips for the newbies though, position your ship about in the middle of the screen, lift your finger and replace it about 1/2” below the ship. This will give you a clear view of what is in front of you, instead of trying to see through you finger on top of the ship. Don’t use your specials too fast. They aren’t readily available, so make sure to conserve them. Most of all, keep a charger near by, you’re going to need it because this game isn’t easy to put down. Grab it right now at the Store with the link below.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/space-shooter-x/1d9d8899-6f6f-4806-98f9-f1218ccfadc6

No comments:

Post a Comment