Thursday, February 28, 2013

Game Review: vNESLite Free

Something that I have had on just about every computer I ever owned was a NES emulator. Loosely translated for those kids out there, the NES, or Nintendo Entertainment System, was the first awesome gaming console to hit the world about 30 years back.

Needless to say, the mindless games like Excitebike, Mike Tyson's Punchout and The Legend of Zelda always found a home on my PC or phone through NES emulator programs. I had ROMs saved back from the days when a friend showed me how to copy them off the cartridges that I had and put them on everything from 3.5" floppy discs to portable hard drives. Currently my 5 favorites have a home on my SkyDrive.

Today, I stumbled across a new emulator App and once again, fired up Excitebike and Punchout for a bit of old school fun. vNESLite was the App of choice and it pretty much nailed the experience. Play was smooth, controls were decent and the sound was dead on. The play and sound were so good, I was almost not going to mention the small issue with the controls. The issue that I experienced was when using multi-touch in Excitebike, after about 3 seconds, the button would pretend not to be pressed. A small glitch that just required a lift and repress, but an issue on some games none the less.

There are 2 different versions of vNESLite in the market. We played with the free, ad-supported model and loved it. The paid version removes the ads.

Overall, if you have some of those old Nintendo ROMs around, vNESLite is the perfect companion for your Windows Phone. If not, it really isn't something you should consider, unless you know where to find them.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 810
Powered by www.4GFastData.com
$49 Unlimited Talk, Text and Data

No comments:

Post a Comment